Bumblebees may look cute in pictures, but what your child may not yet know is that they can inflict painful wounds. Children may be stung by bees because they get too close to them, because they are unaware that bees are nearby or because they react in fright when a bee is buzzing about them. While a bee sting can be scary, it usually is easy to deal with as long as you react quickly.
Get Rid of the Stinger
Your first and most important step is to get rid of the stinger. The stinger is filled with venom, and the longer it remains embedded in your child’s skin, the longer it will continue to cause problems. There are many ways to remove the stinger. You could scrape a credit card across the skin to loosen the stinger, or you may even be able to pull it out with your fingers.
Deal with the Symptoms
Once the stinger is out, you will need to deal with any discomfort, swelling, or skin redness that is bothering your child. An over-the-counter pain reliever, such as acetaminophen, may help, and an ice pack can relieve pain and swelling as well.
Watch for an Allergic Reaction
Some children may experience a dangerous anaphylactic reaction to a bee sting. If your child is suddenly having trouble breathing, develops hives, feels weak or dizzy, or has swelling around the mouth or face, you should immediately take her to an urgent care facility.
However, no matter how careful your child is, she may still end up with a bee sting simply by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. If that happens, act quickly and calmly, and watch carefully for any type of allergic reaction. If you have any questions at all, be sure to contact Kids 1st Pediatrics where we love to help your children stay safe, healthy and happy all year long.